A STUDY ON IMPACT OF RASTRIYA KRISHI VIKAS YOJANA (RKVY) PROGRAMME OF ANGRAU

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Date
2022-08-04
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
guntur
Abstract
Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) was initiated in 2007 as an umbrella scheme for ensuring holistic development of agriculture and allied services. The programme incentivises states in order to increase public investment in agriculture and allied sectors. The main objective of the programme is to reduce the yield gaps in important crops of the state, maximize returns of the farmers in agriculture and allied sectors and to make quantifiable changes in the production of agriculture and allied sectors. The scheme has come a long way since its inception and has been implemented across two five year plan periods (11th and 12th). Although many of these continuing programmes like RKVY, National Horticulture Mission (NHM), and National Food Security Mission (NFSM) were initiated during 2000, an in-depth assessment of the public delivery of services is not readily available. The implementation of targeted interventions need to be analysed and lessons to be learnt to enhance public investment efficiency and up scaling. Further, perception of the farmers and officials of the concerned department constitutes a vital input to policy makers for designing government programmes in a better way. Hence, in this study an attempt was made to study the impact of RKVY of ANGRAU as it made significant contributions in agriculture with respect to rice crop. The study was conducted by following an ex-post-facto Research Design. Three districts viz., Srikakulam (from North Coastal Zone), West Godavari (from Godavari Zone) and Nellore (from Southern Zone), were purposively selected based on the existence of maximum number of rice farmers. From each of the selected district, one Agricultural Research Station (ARS) / RARS, one Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), one District Agricultural Advisory and Transfer of Technology Centre (DAATTC) of ANGRAU were selected purposively which were successfully implementing RKVY programme in rice crop. A total of 80 beneficiaries from each district associated with ARS/RARS, KVK and DAATTC were selected by using proportionate random sampling method and thus, making a total sample of 240 respondents. Appropriate statistical tools such as Mean, Standard Deviation, Frequency, Percentage, Garret Ranking, Chi-square and Multiple Liner Regression (MLR) were used. The detailed analysis of profile characteristics of rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY indicated that majority of the members were middle aged (65.00%), with primary school education (29.58%) and medium annual income (70.00%), marginal land holding (28.33%), farm experience of 11-15 years (36.67%), under gone 3-4 trainings (35.00%), medium socio politico participation (57.09%), medium decision making (66.67%), medium extension contact (67.50%), medium mass media exposure (65.00%), medium achievement motivation (63.33%), medium risk orientation (68.75%), medium market orientation (60.42%), medium scientific orientation (60.42%) and medium innovativeness (62.50%). In Chi Square analysis, education and farm experience were significant at 0.01 level of probability, whereas training received socio-politico participation, extension contact, decision making, achievement motivation, risk orientation, market orientation and scientific orientation were significant at 0.05 level of probability. The remaining profile characteristics like age, annual income, land holding, mass media exposure and innovativeness were not significant. The detailed analysis of dependent variables indicated that more than two-fifths (42.58%) of the rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY had high knowledge on recommended production practices and when found relationship between profile characteristics of rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY with knowledge, age, education, farming experience, training received, socio-politico participation, extension contact, mass media exposure, achievement motivation, risk orientation, market orientation, scientific orientation and innovativeness showed a positive and significant relationship with knowledge of the rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY and the multiple linear regression analysis (MLR) indicated that all the fifteen profile characteristics put together contributed for 77.43 per cent of variance in the knowledge of the beneficiaries about rice cultivation leaving the rest (22.57%) to the effect of extraneous unknown characteristics. With regard to extent of adoption, two-fifths (42.08%) of the rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY had high extent of adoption of recommended production technologies. The relationship between profile characteristics and extent of adoption revealed that age, education, farming experience, training received, socio-politico participation, extension contact, mass media exposure, decision making, achievement motivation, market orientation, scientific orientation and innovativeness showed a positive and significant relationship with extent of adoption and the multiple regression equation with profile characteristics put together contributed for 86.50 per cent of variance in the extent of adoption of recommended production technologies in rice leaving the rest (13.50%) for extraneous effect of unknown characteristics. Similarly in case of direct changes, nearly half (47.08%) of the rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY had high level of direct changes undergone. The relationship between profile characteristics and direct changes reveled that age, annual income, training received, socio-politico participation, decision making, extension contact, mass media exposure, achievement motivation, risk orientation, market orientation, scientific orientation and innovativeness showed a positive and significant relationship with direct changes of the beneficiaries and the multiple regression equation with fifteen profile characteristics put together contributed for 84.00 per cent of variance in the direct changes leaving the rest (16.00%) for extraneous effect of unknown characteristics. In case of indirect changes almost half (49.58%) of the rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY had medium level of indirect changes undergone. The relationship between profile characteristics and indirect changes revealed that age, annual income, farming experience, training received, socio-politico participation, decision making, extension contact, mass media exposure, achievement motivation, market orientation, scientific orientation and innovativeness showed a positive and significant relationship with indirect changes and the multiple regression equation with fifteen profile characteristics put together contributed for 82.40 per cent of variance in the indirect changes of the beneficiaries leaving the rest (17.60%) to extraneous effect of unknown characteristics. The major constraints faced by rice farmer beneficiaries of RKVY were ‘high cost of hire charges of MSRI machinery’, soil test based fertilizer application resulting in low yields’, ‘No knowledge on market information to sell the farm produce’ and less practicability of soil health card recommendations’. Similarly major constraints faced by scientists in implementation of RKVY were ‘Insufficient funds allocated for critical inputs’, ‘increased workload in implementing the RKVY programme’, ‘No technical competence in updating information of Kiosk’. A suitable strategy was designed with five core areas for effective implementation of RKVY. The areas are 1) Strengthening Bhoochetana programme 2) Popularizing cost reduction technologies 3) Strengthening infrastructural facilities 4) Popularizing IFS models 5) Promoting extension services.
Description
A STUDY ON IMPACT OF RASTRIYA KRISHI VIKAS YOJANA (RKVY) PROGRAMME OF ANGRAU
Keywords
Citation
Collections