Thumbnail Image

Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat

Assam Agricultural University is the first institution of its kind in the whole of North-Eastern Region of India. The main goal of this institution is to produce globally competitive human resources in farm sectorand to carry out research in both conventional and frontier areas for production optimization as well as to disseminate the generated technologies as public good for benefitting the food growers/produces and traders involved in the sector while emphasizing on sustainability, equity and overall food security at household level. Genesis of AAU - The embryo of the agricultural research in the state of Assam was formed as early as 1897 with the establishment of the Upper Shillong Experimental Farm (now in Meghalaya) just after about a decade of creation of the agricultural department in 1882. However, the seeds of agricultural research in today’s Assam were sown in the dawn of the twentieth century with the establishment of two Rice Experimental Stations, one at Karimganj in Barak valley in 1913 and the other at Titabor in Brahmaputra valley in 1923. Subsequent to these research stations, a number of research stations were established to conduct research on important crops, more specifically, jute, pulses, oilseeds etc. The Assam Agricultural University was established on April 1, 1969 under The Assam Agricultural University Act, 1968’ with the mandate of imparting farm education, conduct research in agriculture and allied sciences and to effectively disseminate technologies so generated. Before establishment of the University, there were altogether 17 research schemes/projects in the state under the Department of Agriculture. By July 1973, all the research projects and 10 experimental farms were transferred by the Government of Assam to the AAU which already inherited the College of Agriculture and its farm at Barbheta, Jorhat and College of Veterinary Sciences at Khanapara, Guwahati. Subsequently, College of Community Science at Jorhat (1969), College of Fisheries at Raha (1988), Biswanath College of Agriculture at Biswanath Chariali (1988) and Lakhimpur College of Veterinary Science at Joyhing, North Lakhimpur (1988) were established. Presently, the University has three more colleges under its jurisdiction, viz., Sarat Chandra Singha College of Agriculture, Chapar, College of Horticulture, Nalbari & College of Sericulture, Titabar. Similarly, few more regional research stations at Shillongani, Diphu, Gossaigaon, Lakhimpur; and commodity research stations at Kahikuchi, Buralikson, Tinsukia, Kharua, Burnihat and Mandira were added to generate location and crop specific agricultural production packages.


Search Results

Now showing 1 - 1 of 1
  • ThesisItemOpen Access
    (AAU, Jorhat, 2018) Alkozai, Abdullah; Alam, Sheriful
    An experiment entitled “Utilization of fruits and vegetables waste in cereal based food” was conducted in the Department of Horticulture during 2016 -2018. Powder from the mango kernel, pineapple pomace, carrot pomace, banana peel and orange peel was prepared. The wheat flour in the cookies and cakes formulation was substituted by MKP (mango kernel powder), PPP (pineapple pomace powder), CPP (carrot pomace powder), BPP (banana peel powder) and OPP (orange peel powder) at the rate of 0, 10, 20 and 30 per cent. Cookies and cakes were prepared and were analyzed for its physical (diameter, thickness and spread ratio), functional (water holding capacity, oil holding capacity and swelling capacity), chemical (moisture, ash, protein, fat, fibre, carbohydrate) and sensorial characteristics (appearance, colour, Flavour, taste, texture, overall acceptability). On the basis of overall sensory attributes, cookies prepared with incorporation of 10 per cent of MKP, PPP, CPP, BPP and OPP recorded higher acceptability scores as compared to other samples. In case of cakes the basis of overall sensory attributes, cakes prepared with 10 per cent of, PPP, CPP, BPP, OPP and 20 per cent MKP recorded higher acceptability values as compared to other samples. The water absorption capacity differed significantly. The highest value of (2.66 ml/g) was recorded in CPX (wheat flour substituted with 10% carrot pomace powder), the lowest value of 1.10 ml/g was recorded in wheat flour cookies. The spread ratio of cookies increased with incorporation fruits and vegetable waste powder. However, the differences in spread ratio of cookies were non-significant. The peroxide values and moisture content of cookies and cakes increased with increasing storage time. Cookies containing 10 per cent mango kernel powder and cakes containing 20 per cent mango kernel powder scored higher values in sensory evaluation.