Thumbnail Image

Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai


Search Results

Now showing 1 - 3 of 3
  • ArticleItemOpen Access
    Prevalence of Acute Pancreatitis in Dogs
    (2020-06) Abhilaasha, CM; Chandrasekaran, D; Kavith, S; Vairamuthu, S; TANUVAS
    The study was aimed to study the prevalence of acute pancreatitis in dogs. Forty dogs with history of acute onset of vomiting, abdominal pain and anorexia were screened for acute pancreatitis by radiography, abdominal ultrasound and confirmed by SNAP cPL (Canine pancreatic lipase) kit test. Fourteen (0.375 per cent of gastrointestinal cases) dogs found to be positive for acute pancreatitis by abdominal ultrasound, out of which SNAP cPL was positive in nine dogs (64 per cent). Among this 64.3 per cent was secondary acute pancreatitis and 35.7 per cent being primary acute pancreatitis. Highest prevalence was observed in male, Non-descriptive dogs, irrespective of age group. The common history and clinical findings recorded were anorexia, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dehydration, tachycardia, tachypnea, praying posture and pyrexia.
  • ArticleItemOpen Access
    Storage Quality and Shelf-life of Native Desi Chicken Meat Pickle at Room Temperature (32 ± 5 ºC)
    (2020-06) Anna Anandh, M; TANUVAS
    Pickle from native desi chicken meat was prepared and stored at room temperature (32±5ºC) in polyethylene teraphthalate (PET) bottles. The samples were evaluated for physico-chemical parameters, microbial quality and sensory attributes at regular intervals of 0, 5, 15, 30, 45,60, 75 and 90 days of storage. Non significantly increase in pH values were observed with increasing storage period and value remained below 5.0 up to 60 days of storage period. Non significantly increase in titrable acidity (% acetic acid) and free fatty acids (as % oleic acid) values were observed with increasing storage period. However, significantly decreased in moisture (%) values were observed with increasing storage period. A significant (P<0.05) and progressive increase in Thiobarbituric Acid (TBA) values (mg malonaldehyde / kg) were observed with increasing storage period and increase in TBA values between 0 and 60 days of storage did not turn out to be statistically significant. Microbiological counts were nonsignificantly increased between day 0 to 60, thereafter significantly (P<0.05) increased with the advancement of storage period and throughout the storage period, all microbial counts were within the acceptable limits. Sensory evaluation scores indicate that native desi chicken meat was very acceptable up to 60 days of storage and thereafter native desi chicken meat pickle was moderately acceptable between 60 to 90 days of storage at room temperature (32±5°C).
  • ArticleItemOpen Access
    Assessing the Trade Performance of Poultry Products in India - An Application of Markov Chain Analysis
    (2017-02) Shilpa, Shree; Serma Saravana Pandian, A; Chandrasekar, GK; Thangarasu, S; Vinothini, P; TANUVAS
    Poultry is one of the fastest growing segments of the agricultural sector in India today. India is now the world's fifth largest egg producer and the eighteenth largest producer of broilers. In this study, tabular analysis was used to analyse the pattern of export, import and balance of trade of Poultry products in India. From the study, it is observed that between 2004-2007 imports & exports kept edging each other out & after 2007, it started falling down in export and increase in imports. This may be due to rising urban population, expanding middle class, changing lifestyles and also growing penetration of restaurants. The export of poultry meat is increased drastically after 2010. The present study was also undertaken to find out the direction of trade of poultry products using Markov Chain Analysis indicated that India’s previous export to the Afghanistan market was retained to the level of 36 per cent and the remaining 64 per cent was diverted to Germany (10 per cent) and other countries (54 per cent) whereas in case of imports, India’s previous import from the Brazil market was retained to the level of 46 per cent and the remaining 54 per cent was diverted to Netherland. India could not retain its previous import of poultry products to Netherland, Japan and Australia. India lacks access to developed country markets due to their stringent food safety and quality standards. To give a boost to livestock exports, compliance with various SPS measures should be taken up vigorously to ensure international hygiene standards and to harness the untapped potential of exporting to developed countries.