Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://krishikosh.egranth.ac.in/handle/1/5810105115
Authors: Samal, Prabhudut
Advisor: Rathour, Rajeev
Title: PRODUCTION OF SEMI-DWARF AND BLAST RESISTANT DERIVATIVES OF RANBIR BASMATI USING ANTHER CULTURE AND MARKER-ASSISTED-SELECTION
Publisher: CSKHPKV, Palampur
Language: en
Type: Thesis
Pages: 76
Agrotags: null
Keywords: Rice Blast
Abstract: Rice blast is one of the most important fungal diseases in rice, which is caused by the fungus Magnaporthe oryzae (syn: Pyricularia oryzae Cav.). The disease not only causes reduction in yield but also results in chalky and sterile grains thus ultimately deteriorating the grain quality in Basmati rice. The present investigation was aimed at development of the semi-dwarf and blast resistant fixed derivatives of a traditional Basmati rice variety Ranbir Basmati through introgression of blast resistance gene Pi-9 and a recessive semi-dwarfing gene sd-1 from a Basmati donor PB1(Pi9). Of the total 388 BC2F2 plants of cross Ranbir Basmati*3/ PB1(Pi9) subjected to marker-assisted foreground selection, 23 were found to be homozygous for both the genes Pi-9 and sd-1. Of the 12459 anthers of BC2F2 progenies of plant JKR-1-29-100 only 68 formed calli, whereas 28 calli were induced from the 6043 anthers obtained from BC2F2 progenies of JKR1-34-16. A total of 37 plantlets were regenerated from the 96 anther derived calli of the selected BC2F2 progenies with overall regeneration frequency of 38.54%. A significant proportion of regenerated plantlets were albinos. Of the total 37 regenerated plantlets 21 (56.75%) were green, while the remaining 16 (43.24%) were albinos. The overall anther culture response of the BC2F2 derivatives of cross Ranbir Basmati*3/ PB1(Pi9) was very low (0.11%) as only 21 green plantlets could be regenerated from the 18502 cultured anthers. The analysis of yield and its component traits in anther culture derived doubled haploid (DH) plants revealed the presence of superior transgressive segregants for the traits viz., effective tillers, grains per panicle and yield per plant; some of the DH plants out performed both the parental genotypes for these traits. Two DH lines, DH-6 and DH-11, besides being semi-dwarf and highly resistant to blast, exhibited yield, maturity and grain quality attributes (except grain length) comparable or better than Ranbir Basmati. These lines can be further evaluated for yield and blast resistance under multi-location yield trials to assess their potential as new varieties.
Subject: Agricultural Biochemistry
Theme: Production of semi-dwarf and blast resistant derivatives of Ranbir Basmati.
These Type: M.Sc
Issue Date: 2019-02
Appears in Collections:Theses

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
PRABHUDUT SAMAL MSc AGRIL BIOTECH 2019.pdf1.23 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.